Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"As members of the SGI, our mentor in faith is...

... of course, Daisaku Ikeda." When I first heard those words in a recent (December 2007 Kosen-rufu gongyo or January 2008 New Year's) SGI meeting I popped my head up and said to myself, "What! They're telling me who my mentor will be?"

As a member of the SGI since 1989, I've always read Ikeda's guidance and tried to follow it, but I always felt more of a connection to Josei Toda. I've recently found Ikeda's guidance somewhat "fluffy," sort of like a marshmallow, whereas Toda is to the point.

I can honestly say that I resent being told who my mentor in faith will be. That is a decision that I will make.

2 comments:

Megan Shepard said...

I agree! I am a fortune baby and I feel the same way. I feel that members are idolizing Ikeda, not due to him initiating it, but people are misunderstanding the whole idea of the relationship between Ikeda his fellow members of the SGI. I love Toda's words! I can't find any books written by him, and the ones I can find are very rare and expensive. Thank you for this site.

stefani said...

i agree as well! i recently started this practice in September of 2009. and have had the fortune of getting to know many of the wonderful members. and the joy of being able to go to so many meetings in this time. but no doubt i have a much stronger connection with Toda. i appreciate the connection so many members have with Ikeda. but Todas words resonate more within me. i look forward to finding out more about him! and reading more quotes by him.